After sustaining an orthopedic (bone or muscle) injury, knowing where and how to get the appropriate care can make a huge difference in how fast you are seen by a qualified physician and taken care of. Did you know that there are orthopedic urgent care centers that can treat you faster and are more specialized for these types of injuries?
In many cases, urgent care centers will perform a more temporary fix and refer you to a specialist, which will most likely be an orthopedist or orthopedic surgeon. If you go to the Emergency Room, it could take hours just to be seen by a doctor, to say nothing of the out of pocket cost of an ER visit.
What is orthopedic urgent care?
Orthopedic urgent care centers are specialized treatment centers for minor orthopedic injuries and conditions. Ortho patients are able to receive expert care in a timely, convenient setting, whereas going to a regular urgent care center, you may be referred to an orthopedic urgent care center. Going to one right away cuts out hours or even days of waiting to be properly treated by a specialist, and the pain that comes along with that time.
Orthopedic urgent care centers are also staffed by orthopedic providers who specialize in the musculoskeletal system, which includes the bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, and muscles that are crucial for everyday activities and general movement. Orthopedic doctors and surgeons will make sure you get the best treatment possible for your specific ailment.
Though regular urgent care facilities can treat orthopedic injuries, orthopedic urgent care centers are designed exclusively for treating both acute and chronic musculoskeletal injuries.
What type of injuries do orthopedic urgent care centers specialize in?
It is important to know which ailments can be treated at an orthopedic urgent care. Some of the most common injuries these centers can treat include:
- Broken bones, as long as the bone doesn’t puncture through the skin
- Many types of sports injuries
- Sprains and strains in your muscles
- Any type of muscle pain you may be having
- Pinched nerve injuries
- Painful or swollen joints (hands, feet, ankles and many others)
- Neck pain
- Back pain
- Ligament or meniscus tears
- Injuries from automobile accidents
- Workers comp injuries if you are hurt on the job
- Many other musculoskeletal injuries as well
If you have a condition or injury that may be life-threatening, you should always go to an emergency room for the fastest care. The ER is the best choice for severe orthopedic injuries, such as:
- Broken bone with an open fracture/exposed through the skin
- Your injury is causing a lot of blood loss
- If your primary injury is coupled with more injuries from an accident or fall.
Benefits of going to an orthopedic urgent care center
- Specialized care: The biggest benefit of orthopedic urgent care is you will receive expert care from a board certified orthopedist or orthopedic surgeon who is trained to deal with your specific type of injury.
- State of the art equipment: Because it is already set up for these types of injuries, an orthopedic urgent care center will have specialized equipment to handle most orthopedic problems on the spot. The technology will be the most up to date as well, guaranteeing you great care and results.
- Reduced wait times: Convenience is key when you have an injury and are seeking relief. Like most specialized centers, you won’t be waiting as long as you would if you chose to go to an emergency room to get your treatment. Emergency rooms deal with life-threatening ailments 24/7 and wait times for orthopedic injuries could take a while if the ER is busy.
- Affordability: Emergency rooms have to have specialized doctors come in all day and night and so they offset those costs by charging more for rooms, medicines and treatments, typically leaving you with a sizable bill. And the physicians at the ER are not specialized for orthopedics the majority of the time, meaning you will most likely have follow up appointments with an orthopedic doctor for your injury.
Have you suffered or are suffering from a musculoskeletal injury?
Accidents happen in the blink of an eye and some orthopaedic injuries just can’t wait. At Thunder Basin Orthopaedics, we offer urgent care for musculoskeletal injuries without the hassle of going to the emergency room. We believe you deserve quality care without the wait.
Treating everything from fractures and traumatic injuries to joint replacement and sports injuries, Thunder Basin Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine gives individualized treatment using a variety of techniques to operate with less invasive ways of healing the body.
Looking for the skilled staff and top surgeons to get you back on your feet and back in the game? Contact Thunder Basin Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine today. You can also find new patient paperwork here to get a head start on your orthopedic needs!